Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Routers

Well, I figure it's about time to bump my blog. It'd been a while since the last update.

So what's new? well, right now I am looking at router firmwares. I have a Netgear MR814v2 router at home, and I work with its predecessor, the MR814 at another location. At home, I had a consistant problem connecting my work laptop to my wireless network. It would connect for a while, and then eventually just crash the router, requiring a hard reboot. I just figured they were incompatible. Well, I found out quite by accident that they were, but it could be fixed.

I was playing with opening some ports in my router for VNC recently, to work on a computer remotely. I happened to look at the firmware upgrade page, which prompted me to see if I had the latest version. Turns out, my firmware was several years old. In fact, the most recent update is years old too, but newer than what I had. So I went through the process of upgrading the firmware, which was fairly annoying because I had to reset all of the settings and put them in again. Anywho, it turns out that the old firmware was incompatible with centrino-based wireless systems! D'oh! So after the upgrade, all is good :)

Now I just look at the possibility of getting a router I can flash with some custom firmware for added functionality ;^)

No comments: