Monday, October 22, 2007

Retail

It's coming up on the retail season again. The time when some of us crazy birds look forward to Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving (or sometimes the night of Thanksgiving)), and retailers look forward to extra profit! Then there are others who dread the season altogether because of the crowds. I never mind crowds too much. In fact I find it kind of exciting to be caught up in the rush of people.

But what I find humorous in the last couple of years has been the commentary on Black Friday prices. Any good comsumer knows that it pays dividends to wait to make electronics purchases until that day. Prices are literally SLASHED in some cases. I bought my HDTV last year on that day because I saved 30%. Awesome. But every year, analysts and retailers start their commentary early. Saying price drops will not be as severe as the last year, and that things should be more reasonable. Then Wal-Mart comes out with a flat-panel TV priced 30% below cost or something ridiculous like that.

Me? I'll wait to see the fun unfold. I'll be there with the newspapers after filling my stomach with an insane amount of turkey. Plotting. Planning. Getting the best deals.

-M